Monday 9 June 2014

New project! Learning UE4 + Sci-fi

So, I realised recently that I have a gap in my folio, so I decided that a new scene would be needed to address it. Over the last year or so I have been actively trying to push myself outside of my comfort zone by doing things that either challenge or scare me. The Harry Potter stuff was an example of this, and I definitely feel better having tried my hand at it.

I have never attempted to do any Sci-Fi, so I figured with the recent release of UE4 that it would be a good way to stretch my legs, work with some friends and challenge myself to doing something that I wouldn't normally try.

To start, I put together a block-out..well about 15 blockouts. I wanted to create something sleek and very sci-fi, without being too cliché. I had been working on the Harry Potter stuff and putting together a base for a diorama, this featured a Gothic window with Geometric Tracery which started my cogs turning about maybe incorporating a similar Gothic style into a Sci-Fi scene. I wanted to try and incorporate these gothic arches and buttress' wherever possible.

I wanted to create a space that would house a device, loosely based on a similar concept to the website "The Way-back Machine" (http://archive.org/web/) an archive of the internet, that allows you to take a look back in time at how the internet looked years ago. This machine, housed in a museum of the future, would bring back relics of significance from the past into the present by opening a portal to the past, all whilst keeping the past in tact. My good friend Al Crutchley did a paint-over of my concept, to give me something to work from.


From here, I put together the modular walls, floors and ceilings that would make up the scene. 

I will keep posting my progress here until the progress reaches completion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment